Re: [exim] SORBS

Página Principal
Apagar esta mensagem
Responder a esta mensagem
Autor: Chris
Para: Mar Matthias Darin
CC: exim-users
Assunto: Re: [exim] SORBS
On 12/11/06, Mar Matthias Darin <BDarin@???> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> > I understand all your points and they are all very valid
> > however should it be the case that someone be completely blocked purely on
> > the basis of a dynamic IP ?
>
> As much as I hate to say this, you are only one in millions of dynamic IP
> addresses infected with spam zombies. Sadly, this is a case of the greater
> good, allow millions of viruses and allow ONE innocent persion OR stop the
> hordes of virus and the ONE innocent person.
>
> It is a real pain. I know, I've been there, even with a fully qualified IP
> address. SORBS decided at some point that the entire 63.230.x.x/16 was all
> dynamic and not giving a damned that literaly hundreds of businesses would
> be wiped out. It was a real mess, thankfully fixed now.
>
> I, too, am among the many that believe most RBL's don't act responsibly. It
> is probably an irony that I wrote a tool to identify dynamic IP addresses.
> But there is one major distinction, I can exclude in a matter of seconds an
> innoncent victim and try to keep my filter to spammer infected IP addresses.
> A tight-rope act that I believe is better than just sacrifing large chunks
> of the internet.
>
> > To use your analogy of the airport
> >
> > a certain profile of person may raise more suspicion than another and may be
> > more closely checked through security.
> > Having that profile does not stop that person getting on the plane unless
> > the closer checks reveal other attributes that raise suspicion.
> > Imagine if they said you could not fly because you are Asian, Muslim or have
> > a long beard !
> > That would be crazy
> > No they just look a little closer at you
>
> Have you been to the airport lately. Especially in Europe. Many airports
> are doing just that. Most often, you'll end up catching a later plane by
> the time they're done scrutinizing everything including the underwear you're
> wearing..
>
> ## > http://tanaya.net/vmw/
> In Memory of First Lieutenant David Ray Blackburn
>
> Let us not forget First Lieutenant David Ray Blackburn, casualty of
> the Vietnam War. As a member of the Army Reserve, 1LT Blackburn served
> our country until November 28th, 1967 in Dinh Tuong, South Vietnam. He
> was 23 years old and was not married. David died when his helicopter
> crashed into the land. his His body was recovered. David was born on
> June 30th, 1944 in Cocoa Beach, Florida.
>
> 1LT Blackburn is on panel 30E, line 082 of the Vietnam Memorial Wall
> in Washington D.C. He served our country for 2 years.
>

> --

Hi I host web servers and we have configuation which blocks dynamic ip
ranges provided by SORBS but its not a blanket block on every domain
we host.

1 - Its opt-in only so by default we dont block dynamic ip ranges
using exim rbl configuration.

2 - users can be whitelisted by contacting us.

3 - it would be nice to use scoring on all spam but it needs
processing power and users often still download scored spam using
their bandwidth so many prefer to simply have thise type of listing
blocked by the server outright, I have yet to have any reports of
false positives from blocking dynamic ip ranges,

4 - consumer broadband connections arent really suitable for server
usage including hosting email, email pop3 boxes can be had for dirt
cheap now days and are a much more suitable solution.

5 - the vast majority of spam in my experience comes from dyanmic ip ranges.

Chris