Re: [exim] $interface_address, was: Paging Marc Perkel: rDN…

Autor: W B Hacker
A: exim users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] $interface_address, was: Paging Marc Perkel: rDNS on junkemailfilter.com checking host(s)
Jakob Hirsch wrote:
> Quoting Philip Hazel:
>
>>     As soon as a server starts processing a TCP/IP connection, this variable is
>> Perhaps I should add the word "incoming", just in case it isn't obvious.

> I'd say so. There were some people on the list stumbling over that, so
> it seems to be not that obvious. Probably even in detail, like "It is
> not set on outgoing connections, as Exim does not know the address the
> OS will choose."

Might be worthwhile cross-referencing those two look-alikes back-and-forth in
both places they appear:

===========

The variables which 'learn' an IP or IP:port address from an arriving connection:

$interface_address

$interface_port

'..are not inherently linked to the 'interface' transport option and should not
be confused with it. See also Chapter 30.3'

or WTTE -
===========

The private option to an smtp transport, which conveys an IP address to a
transport from the right-side IP, lookup, or expansion:

interface =

'..is not inherently linked to either the $interface_address or $interface_port
expansion variables, and should not be confused with them. See also Chapter 11.

or WTTE
- perhaps covering the Chapter 5 debug option usage of 'interface' as well?

Bill

[1] Given that one can *create* such a linkage by passing the value via acl_c ->
acl_m, or external tools. Including a code example, as applicable for by-IP
virtual hosting might make the distinction more apparent.