Re: [exim] Paging Marc Perkel: rDNS on junkemailfilter.com c…

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] Paging Marc Perkel: rDNS on junkemailfilter.com checking host(s)
Marc Perkel wrote:

*snip*

> It's an interesting issue. I use several IP addresses and sometimes I
> have to switch IP addresses because I'm wringly blacklisted. So to do it
> right my HELO would need to change dynamically as the IP changes. Is
> there a way for the HELO to be the reverse lookup of the IP the request
> is being made on?

Use of '$interface' and 'helo_data' should allow you to force what Exim uses to
match what you have already published in the DNS.

If you have to switch about, then having preset 'spares' in place in the DNS is
fine. You may want to keep them 'warm' but not used for outboudn until so directed.

But when the IP used resolves to 5.ctyme.com (with proper DNS records) but the
HELO needs manual work to eventually find 2.ctyme.com, which also has a clean
set of DNS records - unfortunately for a different IP than used in the
connection cited...

Then either some DNS editing/additions are needed to get the
'junkemailfilter'... into the right association so as not be seen as dodgy,

OR the HELO might reasonably be changed to what IS in the DNS PTR record -
5.ctyme.com in the case cited - not 'pascal'...

So long as the DNS 'spares' are in place, you should be able to drive the IP(s)
Exim uses, their TLS certs, and the helo_data selected from an external lookup
so that you can adapt Exim on the fly, if/as/when BL'ed (and try to fix *that*
if you can...)

As to the comment about 'dynamic' IP... that just doesn't track.

A 'whois' of the IP finds that IP block 'direct assigned' so you should be fine
there.

Bill