Re: [exim] wishlist: log_selector for PID

Author: Heiko Schlittermann
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] wishlist: log_selector for PID
Hello,

Philip Hazel <ph10@???> (Do 09 Nov 2006 10:41:54 CET):
> On Wed, 8 Nov 2006, Heiko Schlittermann wrote:
>
> > If each log line could have some pid=4711 (or whatever the key is named)
> > it could help to reproduce what happend with sessions if they didn't get
> > the 'spool id' assigned yet.
> If you turn on log_selector=+smtp_connection the log will contain a
> start and end connection line. Using the IP address this should help
> sort out an individual connection, though I guess if a client makes two
> or more simultaneous connections it won't be clear.

I patched 4.63 (mainly in log.c) a bit to achieve the following:

    log_selector = +pid

now creates log lines as follows:

    2006-11-09 12:45:58 [12382] 1Gi8M2-0003Di-0w <= root@??? U=root P=local S=336

But I'm afraid that it may break some tools!?

Some other option would be to append something like PID=12382 the each
log line?

Comments?

> would have just added this idea to the Wish List, but now that it is in
> Bugzilla it is probably better if you add it, because then its origin

Done anyway.

    Best regards from Dresden
    Viele Grüße aus Dresden
    Heiko Schlittermann
 Heiko Schlittermann HS12-RIPE -----------------------------------------
 gnupg encrypted messages are welcome - key ID: 48D0359B ---------------
 gnupg fingerprint: 3061 CFBF 2D88 F034 E8D2  7E92 EE4E AC98 48D0 359B -