Re: [exim] wishlist: log_selector for PID

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Heiko Schlittermann
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] wishlist: log_selector for PID
On Wed, 8 Nov 2006, Heiko Schlittermann wrote:

> If each log line could have some pid=4711 (or whatever the key is named)
> it could help to reproduce what happend with sessions if they didn't get
> the 'spool id' assigned yet.

There is a (vauge) wish to assign an id earlier than now, which would
help a bit. But it makes no sense to assign a message id until a MAIL
command is received.

If you turn on log_selector=+smtp_connection the log will contain a
start and end connection line. Using the IP address this should help
sort out an individual connection, though I guess if a client makes two
or more simultaneous connections it won't be clear.

Adding a PID would not be liked by those whose log files are already
many megabytes long, but of course it would be an option. In the past I
would have just added this idea to the Wish List, but now that it is in
Bugzilla it is probably better if you add it, because then its origin
will be properly recorded.