Re: [exim] Support Vacuum

Author: Hill Ruyter
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Support Vacuum
Ok
So I am about as green as they come ...

> On Mon, Nov 06, 2006 at 04:09:05PM +0100, Marc Haber wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 06 Nov 2006 12:38:23 +0100, Renaud Allard <renaud@???>
>> wrote:
>> >It should be noted that exim4 on debian supports the one large conf
>> >file. If you put any valid exim configuration file in
>> >/etc/exim4/exim4.conf debian exim will use it as its configuration file.
>>
>> Yes, but that is not adviseable for a newbie. Please do not recommend
>> this to somebody who is not clearly experienced with exim.

My Ubuntu installation of Exim4 recommended using the single "monolithic"
configuration file if not familiar with Exim
so that is what I have done
It hasn't been too bad but I think I have indeed asked a few stupid
questions here (sorry guys)
I certainly would have got WAY more confused if I had tried to do it with
all those seperate files except for the SA-Exim install which required a ne
line in the config the would not have been needed with seperate files.
(That took a while to find !!)

> How else are they going to learn?

True but I do also take the point about reading the documentation.
However as a newbie it is not always obvious what information can be found
where
and I was glad to get pointed in the direction of the right document by
people here when I had become a little lost
in the sea of conflicting documents and howtos that is Debian land (This may
be because my requirements were a little unusual)

> Working with the default exim.conf from
> /usr/share/doc/exim4-base/examples/example.conf.gz is a lot easier than
> working through /etc/exim4/exim4.conf.template. They just have to find it
> first.

Cool thanks I had no idea that
/usr/share/doc/exim4-base/examples/example.conf.gz was in anyway different
from the example provided in exim4.conf.template
I will have to go and read it to see if I learn something although my server
is now running ok (I think).
I was also not aware from any documents I have read that I should/could
change the name from exim4.conf.template to exim4.conf

> Red hat and CentOS systems have an /etc/exim/exim.conf by default and
> leave it to the administrator to configure. I suspect others do too, but
> I've only used Debian, Ubuntu, Red Hat and CentOS recently.

So from me and all the other noobs out there
"Thank you to everyone at exim.org mailing list. Your knowledge and patience
is invaluable to us on our often steep learning curve"