Re: [exim] DynaStop - I like it!

Autor: Peter Bowyer
A: Exim, Users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] DynaStop - I like it!
On 02/11/06, Chris Lightfoot <chris@???> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 02, 2006 at 11:25:57PM +0000, Peter Bowyer wrote:
> [...]
> [...]
> > >
> > > i.e., no, none.
> >
> > You have no point? Good, can we move on?
>
> no. I asked, is there any evidence for the implicit theory
> of things like Dynastop (i.e., that anybody with whom you
> might want to exchange mail is rich enough to pay for some
> sort of connectivity that doesn't appear in such a list).
> You offered none, but instead offered evidence for a
> completely different theory, presumably in the hope that
> dimmer readers would mistake it for what I asked for.
> (This is the bit of your message which I elided with
> [...], above, because it was not relevant to the
> discussion.)

In your mistaken view.

My argument was that the 'implicit theory' you're trying to find
evidence for doesn't exist. The bit about '...afford a leased line'
was something you made up - nobody implied it.

Instead, there's a theory that as a class of email origination points,
the 'dynamic IP' and its close relations a) exhibits the biggest
spam-to-ham ratio there is, by several orders of magnitude; and b)
consists of people who have other ways to send their legitimate email.
At the very least, they have their ISP's mail relay, which is free (or
if it isn't, change provider).

That's why DynaBlock, dynablock.njabl.org etc exist, and why people
use them as part of their mail blocking strategy.

If the false positive rate were high enough to cause business issues,
people wouldn't use them.

Conclusion: Enough people don't want to receive email from 'dynamic'
IPs for both these, and probably other, solutions to exist and
prosper. Campaigning against this on some spurious platform of
economic discrimination is unlikely to win hearts and minds.

Peter

--
Peter Bowyer
Email: peter@???