Re: [exim] DynaStop - I like it!

Autor: W B Hacker
A: exim users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] DynaStop - I like it!
Mar Matthias Darin wrote:
> Hello,
> W B Hacker writes:
>>> What this does is it gets rid of spammers who don't retry. And the
>>> decrease has been huge. It has eliminated a lot of spam and has cut
>>> the load levels down on my servers significantly. Not getting any
>>> complaints. So I have to endorse it using it the way I'm using it.
>>
>> You haven't actually provided evidence of *why* you believe it is
>> working, and I
>> suspect, if only from how quickly you claimed success, that you
>> haven't done the
>> analyis required to be able to determine the effectiveness.
>> You simply haven't had time to do so. Solid analysis needs days if
>> not weeks of
>> traffic.
>
> DynaStop specifically identifies dynamic dhcp/dialup IP addresses that
> in accordance with the many ISPs' AUP/TOS do NOT allow these users to
> send mail except through the provider's exchange server.
> As to the proof... a valid question that deserves a valid answer: I have
> six years of research in the area, all of which is available at
> http://tanaya.net/DynaStop/

I have no argument with the *effectiveness* of the DynStop approach, as we had
used some similar home-brew methods for some time.

I have a major issue only with being made to believe that it can be as
*efficient* or resource-light as cached RBL hits against the same offenders.

AND as rapidly updated/able as the RBL+DNS cache can be. See TTL.

W/R Marc - wrong or irrelevant conclusions on scant evidence do NO product or
program any good. Further, the business of providing 'extra' mx and claiming
spam reduction 'coz of no 'retry' is a sure sign of short-interval log analysis.

For sure a handful of forged HELO and/or 'borrowed' dynamic IP copied from the
allegedly 'beaten' spambot and grep'ed for each day will show up again. Next
day, next week, and next year, if not in half an hour's time.

*snip* (DynStop info now list archived fro those who want it)

Note the arrival time intervals are fairly well spread out.

I've boxen that lay quiet for hours, then get hit harder than than in a fraction
of the time.

> Vietnam War. As a member of the Army, CPL Adams served our country until

I haven't forgotten any of that, thanks. Long Binh AUG 67- AUG 68.

But this list is not really the place for it.

Regards,

Bill