Re: [exim] handling failures in pipes

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Ian P. Christian
CC: exim users, W B Hacker
Subject: Re: [exim] handling failures in pipes
On Wed, 1 Nov 2006, Ian P. Christian wrote:

> I understand I might be able to set the 'temp_errors' option to defer
> the sender with a 'try again later' response rather then a perminent
> error, but ideally I should be able to get exim to handle a 'pipe'
> failure in the same way it handles a 'smtp' error, and just put it in
> the queue for later processing.

It does, _except_ that it cannot know without your help which errors are
temporary and which are permanent. With SMTP, it's all defined in the RFC:
4xx errors are temporary and 5xx errors are permanent, and it treats
errors like connection failure as temporary. For a pipe, it has no
knowledge of what you are doing. The default is to assume a couple of
standard error codes are temporary and the rest are permanent. As an OP
says, if you put

temp_errors = *

it will treat all errors as temporary.