Re: [exim] handling failures in pipes

Author: Matthias Waffenschmidt
To: Ian P. Christian
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] handling failures in pipes
Hi,

On Wed, Nov 01, 2006 at 03:50:42AM +0000, Ian P. Christian wrote:
> I'm delivering mail to cyrus in a pretty standard way:
>
> virtualuser_delivery:
>      driver = pipe
>      user = cyrus
>      group = mail
>      message_prefix = ""
>      message_suffix = ""
>      log_fail_output
>      return_output
>      envelope_to_add = true
>      command = "/usr/lib/cyrus/deliver -r $return_path $local_part@$domain"

> however....If cyrus is down for any reason, mail sent to users will be
> bounced with a message:
>
> couldn't connect to lmtpd: Connection refused
> 421 4.3.0 deliver: couldn't connect to lmtpd
>
> I would rather mail be accepted and stored locally untill cyrus is
> backup, bouncing the mail just because cyrus is down is not an option.
>
> How might I achieve this?

Have a look at the temp_errors option in the fine manual:

http://www.exim.org/exim-html-4.63/doc/html/spec_html/ch29.html#id2650401

If you want to treat all deliver failures as temporary errors you can
just set

temp_errors = *

in the pipe transport

--
Gruss / Best regards   |  LF.net GmbH        |  fon +49 711 90074-411
Matthias Waffenschmidt |  Ruppmannstr. 27    |  fax +49 711 90074-33