[exim] Denying persistent offenders...

Autor: Ruth Ivimey-Cook
A: exim-users
Assumpte: [exim] Denying persistent offenders...
Folks,

I found the discussion on spam filtering interesting. One thing I'm wondering
about doing is to permanently deny connections from hosts that fail various
tests - e.g. hosts that send me my own IP on HELO, or that don't have rDNS.

I can see that including an IP in a condition of the connect acl would work. In
fact I already have this in my setup, although the list I use here is a hand
maintained one for irritating hosts, rather than spam per-se:

acl_check_connect:
  deny    message       = mail not permitted from your IP: $address
          hosts         = lsearch;/etc/exim/blacklist_host

I'm wondering if there is a way to automatically add items to, and perhaps even
expire older items from, the list that is searched on connect. This suggests
some kind of mysql lookup rather than the cdb or lsearch approach. Mostly it
would involve adding/expiring as a result of some other acl failure, I think.

Has anyone done this and if so is there any experience or code you can share?

Thanks

Ruth