Re: [exim] exim3 amavis - preserve message id

Author: Chris Lightfoot
To: M.A.
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] exim3 amavis - preserve message id
On Sat, Oct 28, 2006 at 03:25:40PM +0200, M.A. wrote:
> Thats ok, but in the log every message will be 2 message and 2 message id.

    [...]

> The goal is to use the same message, i wanna tell to exim, if the sender ho
> st is amavis and there is a scanned header, than use the message id aka pre
> serve it.
>
> Is it possible?!

Do you mean a message ID in the sense of ``value of the
or ``the ID which exim uses for identification of the
messages on its queue'' (something like 1EGRzl-0003nQ-00)?
I can't see any reason why your configuration would change
the former, but the latter is assigned uniquely by Exim at
message accept time (see src/accept.c, search for ``Now
build the unique message id''). You *could* override it
there from a value supplied in the message headers by
altering the source code, but this sounds like a terrible
idea to me. Do your logs not contain sufficient
information to identify the post-amavis ID from the
pre-amavis ID? If not, can you make amavis or some other
bit of the apparatus log both pre- and post- IDs (perhaps
by parsing the DATA response amavis gets from exim at SMTP
time)?

By the way, this:

> i've read exim3 can work only on port 25

is nonsense (well, you might have read that it's true, but
it isn't).

--
``Fred the Giant was a sociable fellow who would sit with the sightseers in the
clubroom chatting about his life and the problems it caused.''