Re: [exim] system_filter

Author: Marcin Krol
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] system_filter

Thanks for reply, Tim, that was informative.

Tim Jackson napisał(a):
> OK, before we go into any more detail, the main issue is that you are
> using an "attachment blocking" system filter which is based on one
> written by Nigel M and:
>
> - is over 5 years old
> - was a hack at the best of times
> - which even the author (who is on this list) recommends NOT using
> - causes abusive collateral spam to third parties

Now if only the authors of certain commercial web control panel package
I got as legacy on this
new job could be convinced not to use such hacks (Exim and this
particular system_filter.exim file
gets installed with that package in a bunndle - 5 years after it was
written and still without any
changes) but configured it properly instead.. :-(

The upside is that with Exim I can at least try fixing it myself.

> That said, I can't immediately see what your problem is. Ian suggested
> it was the rules with "unseen finish" but this shouldn't cause the mail
> to be discarded, simply for the filtering to stop. ("seen finish" would
> discard it). However, have you looked in /var/log/_spam.log, as many of
> your rules write there? The rules that end in "seen finish" will result
> in a discard; however the notes about them will be written in
> /var/log/_spam.log.
>

> Also, although it's not the problem you describe, this looks like a
> pretty bad idea:
>
> if $header_subject contains "Creator Duplicate"
> then
>     deliver g.danecki@???
>     deliver info@???
>     deliver $header_to:
> endif

> What happens if $header_to contains a third party address? You could
> cause mail loops or allow your server to be used for spamming like this
> (OK, it's obscure, but still)

Well, it's supposed to go there - it's how the user of a newly created
account gets the email
with the account information. It may be a bad solution, but again, I
don't know of a better
one. :-(

--
Dział Techniczny
Marcin Król

Domeny, Hosting, Kolokacja, Certyfikaty SSL, Monitoring serwerów ...
DOMENY.PL sp. z o.o. ul. Wielicka 50, 30-552 Kraków, Poland
tel. +48(12)296 3663, info: +48 501 DOMENY
fax. +48(12)296 3664, +48(22)3 987 365
e-mail: pomoc@???, www: http://www.Domeny.pl
Komunikator online/ Live Chat:
http://live2.domeny.pl/request_email.php?l=phplive&x=1&deptid=2