Re: [exim] system_filter

Author: Tim Jackson
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] system_filter
Marcin Krol wrote:

> I'm an Exim newbie, so please don't get annoyed if issues I raise seem
> obvious to you. :-)

That's cool.

> I get some legitimate mail discarded by Exim system_filter

OK, before we go into any more detail, the main issue is that you are
using an "attachment blocking" system filter which is based on one
written by Nigel M and:

- is over 5 years old
- was a hack at the best of times
- which even the author (who is on this list) recommends NOT using
- causes abusive collateral spam to third parties

So, rather than trying to work around the problems, please consider
uninstalling it (or at least remove the :fail:s which cause collateral
spam) and look for a better solution from scratch. If you need up to
date filtering techniques, you really need to install Exim 4 (if you're
not already using it, which you probably aren't) and look at all the new
features built in which are much better.

That said, I can't immediately see what your problem is. Ian suggested
it was the rules with "unseen finish" but this shouldn't cause the mail
to be discarded, simply for the filtering to stop. ("seen finish" would
discard it). However, have you looked in /var/log/_spam.log, as many of
your rules write there? The rules that end in "seen finish" will result
in a discard; however the notes about them will be written in
/var/log/_spam.log.

Also, although it's not the problem you describe, this looks like a
pretty bad idea:

if $header_subject contains "Creator Duplicate"
then
    deliver g.danecki@???
    deliver info@???
    deliver $header_to:
endif

What happens if $header_to contains a third party address? You could
cause mail loops or allow your server to be used for spamming like this
(OK, it's obscure, but still)

Tim