Re: [exim] truncated messages with mailman

Author: John W. Baxter
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] truncated messages with mailman
On 10/24/06 10:33 AM, "John W. Baxter" <jwblist3@???> wrote:

> On 10/24/06 2:59 AM, "richard" <rh231@???> wrote:
>
>> Can anyone suggest anything?
>> problem:
>> I have exim with cygwin, running mailman as mail list administrator.
>> With mailman all messages are truncated to about 47 Kb. With Mutt email
>> client
>> we can send messages with a much greater size.
>> How can I increase the message size used with mailman? Thx.
>
> I don't know of any way to induce Exim to truncate normal messages in that
> way. (I could cause Exim to truncate bounces uncleanly like that.)
>
> The Mailman list was correct in what they told you (I'm on that list as
> well). Mailman doesn't do that.

More accurately, Mailman doesn't truncate individual MIME parts. It may
very well be configured such that it is dropping one or more MIME parts
completely.

On 10/25/06 1:40 AM, "richard" <rh231@???> wrote:
<log entries which show the message getting smaller as it passed through
Mailman; and which suggest that the sending email program was Outlook
Express>

Mailman could certainly be dropping the text/html MIME part (if so
configured) in a message coming in with text/plain, text/html, and
image-carrying parts. If the result were then read in a mail program which
reacts foolishly to the resulting message, I suppose it could look
truncated. (The S=67986 shows that the message is larger than 45K, but once
the 7-bit encoding is undone it could well come out as 45K.)

I think you do need to look at the list's settings for content filtering,
despite my earlier reaction that you got the proper answer from the Mailman
list.

But I don't think that's it, either, since you say "all" messages are
truncated to 45 K (regardless of MIME parts). And my original claim that
neither Mailman nor Exim should be doing that stands. You might want to try
generating a pure text test message containing only ASCII characters of 60K
or so, and sending that. (You would have to force Outlook Express to
produce that--it's likely set to produce text/plain and text/html parts.)

--John