Re: [exim] exim and outlook auth problem

Author: Heiko Schlittermann
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] exim and outlook auth problem
keith@??? <keith@???> (Di 24 Okt 2006 22:50:00 CEST):

> A good friend of mine who host my mail has just changed over to exim on
> his mail servers (mac osx). using exim 4.63 i believe.
>
> I use outlook 2003 sp2 fully updated for my email client.
>
> Since he has changed over to exim i can no longer send email.
>
> I can collect my email via pop no problem but as soon as i try to send via
> smtp it fails. I have changed my auth settings to every combination i can
> in outlook but still it fails. I have tried it on 3 different pc's using
> outlook and i get the same error on all.

Good idea is to use {t,}wireshark/{t,}ethereal/ngrep to dump the auth
attempts of your outlook.

IFAIK outlook uses LOGIN auth. And this is not well defined. But on
the other hand, with the LOGIN auth setup from the exim examples all our
customers outlooks worked. At least, nobody complained ;-)

> What i am after is for someone on this list to confirm that this is a know
> problem with exim and outlook. And hopefully if there is a fix for it.

The problem isn't on exim, it's more on the exim admins side ;)
And I would not call it "problem". It's a "challenge"... :)

> Oh he is not running ssl or SPA for authentication.

This makes dumping the auth attempts a lot easier.

    Best regards from Dresden
    Viele Grüße aus Dresden
    Heiko Schlittermann
 Heiko Schlittermann HS12-RIPE -----------------------------------------
 gnupg encrypted messages are welcome - key ID: 48D0359B ---------------
 gnupg fingerprint: 3061 CFBF 2D88 F034 E8D2  7E92 EE4E AC98 48D0 359B -