[exim] v4.50 process stuck on select

Author: Michael Sprague
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] v4.50 process stuck on select
Hi folks,

Having a strange issue and hopefully someone has seen it before
(couldn't find anything in archives.

Running 4.50 (on debian - heavy). The past couple of days my server
gets swamped. I see the connection count grow higher and higher. When
I do a ps -ef, I see exim process that are really old and should be done
by now. An strace doesn't show anything useful except that the process
isn't doing much of anything:

strace -f -p 29676
Process 29676 attached - interrupt to quit
select(10, [9], NULL, NULL, {2177, 130000}

it looks like it's waiting for something, but how do I determine what?
This is becoming a big issue as I have to kill exim once in a while to
clean things up but it will eventually fill up again.

Thanks for any pointers.

mikeS

--
Michael F. Sprague     | mfs@???