Re: [exim] Exim has a bad queue handling?

Author: Stuart Gall
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim has a bad queue handling?

On 23 Oct 2006, at 15:59, John Robinson wrote:

> On 23/10/2006 13:25, Ian Eiloart wrote:
>> --On 23 October 2006 12:57:00 +0100 John Robinson
>> <john.robinson@???> wrote:
>>> Is Exim designed to be clever, and not to attempt to deliver further
>>> messages to the same recipient? I thought it was just for hosts that
>>> were down, but I wonder if there's an option to disable this
>>> cleverness
>>> if it's not compatible with greylisting at remote sites.
>>
>> For the sending server to be able to do this, there'd need to be
>> some way
>> that the receiving server could announce that it was greylisting. For
>> example, an enhanced error code. U
>
> If it announced it was greylisting, the greylisting method would
> become
> less useful.
>
> I'm not clear that exim does defer all messages for a recipient after
> receiving a 4xx or whatever for one message, but if it does, I wonder
> whether I could I disable that feature, making exim behave more
> stupidly
> with some target servers but better with greylisting ones?

You could call exim without a -q option then run exim -qf on a cron
job (thats completely dumb queue handling)

Better would be to set up a retry rule for the specific error that
you get to retry every minute for 5 days.
NB this wont actually do a retry every minute, but it will do a retry
every queue run.

cf http://www.exim.org/exim-html-4.50/doc/html/spec_32.html#SECT32.3