Re: [exim] Exim has a bad queue handling?

Author: John Robinson
To: Ian Eiloart
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim has a bad queue handling?
On 23/10/2006 13:25, Ian Eiloart wrote:
> --On 23 October 2006 12:57:00 +0100 John Robinson
> <john.robinson@???> wrote:
>> On 23/10/2006 09:57, Daniel Tiefnig wrote:
>>> Yes. There is a problem with exims retry mechanism if a remote system is
>>> greylisting based on recipient address, sender address and sender IP. As
>>> exim gets a temporary error for "RCPT TO", it thinks the mailbox is
>>> currently not available. Exim can't know that another e-mail in the
>>> queue with a different sender address could actually get through to the
>>> recipient. With a moronic greylisting setup (no auto-whitelisting) on
>>> the remote side and a lot of emails this really is a problem. One may
>>> choose at which side the problem is, though.
>> Is Exim designed to be clever, and not to attempt to deliver further
>> messages to the same recipient? I thought it was just for hosts that
>> were down, but I wonder if there's an option to disable this cleverness
>> if it's not compatible with greylisting at remote sites.
>
> For the sending server to be able to do this, there'd need to be some way
> that the receiving server could announce that it was greylisting. For
> example, an enhanced error code. U

If it announced it was greylisting, the greylisting method would become
less useful.

I'm not clear that exim does defer all messages for a recipient after
receiving a 4xx or whatever for one message, but if it does, I wonder
whether I could I disable that feature, making exim behave more stupidly
with some target servers but better with greylisting ones?

Cheers,

John.