Re: [exim] Outgoing Hostname and IP

Author: Renaud Allard
To: Grant Peel
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Outgoing Hostname and IP

Grant Peel wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a standard port install of Ex 4.6.
>
> I do have the server setup to use lookup tables (user_domain) to route table once incoming is complete.
>
> I want to setup the outgoing mail to reflect the domain that is sending the mail instead of the servers main hostname.
>
> I would also like the server to send the email based on the (authenticated) domain, which in turn will ensure the email is sent out using that domains IP address.
>
> I have some exp with Transports and Routers but am not an expert and was hoping someone here could help!

If I understand you well, you would like exim to make a HELO reflecting
sender's domain name? I don't think you can configure exim in such a way.
Furthermore IMHO that would be a bad idea as you HELO/RDNS wouldn't
match and some sites filter on this. Some people also filter on IPs with
changing HELOs as they mostly are zombies.