Re: [exim] [off-topic] Using low-priority DNS MX record as s…

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: W B Hacker
A: exim users
Asunto: Re: [exim] [off-topic] Using low-priority DNS MX record as spam trap
gdub wrote:
> Any thoughts on the idea of dedicating a
> host or interface as a trap by giving it
> the lowest priority MX record?
>
> I find that the lowest-priority exchangers
> in my domains are used primarily (maybe
> exclusively, I need to analyze) by
> spammers. Could this be a way to detect
> spamhosts? Is anyone doing this already?
> I realize this could be a colossally
> bad idea so I'm looking for thoughts and
> the attendant laughter.
>
>    -dub

No laughter - it can help, but is hardly a cure-all.

ISTR several posts here where folk had done that. An archive search may turn up
at least the rationale and perhaps settings - even soem report of how well it
worked.

ISTR also that there were indications that too many spammers had twigged to the
trick, so it was not an assured benefit.

IMNSHO 'traps' in general seem to be more likely to just eat b/w, CPU cycles,
and time.

I've never seen the point in 'playing' with spam or spammers or getting into
head games with machines that do not get tired - or criminals who keep looking
for new ways to get around barriers. If they believe they have a receptive
partner, they just aim more stolen resources at your server.

Seems better to just reject them as fast as possible, then move on.

Bill