Re: [exim] Really Cool Trick

Author: SeattleServer.com
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Really Cool Trick
On Wednesday 18 October 2006 20:34, Marc Perkel wrote:
> I just developed this for a guy who had only one email address for his
> domain. Instead of having several email addresses what I did was if he
> created an IMAP folder then the email address folder@??? would go
> directly into that folder.
>
> This isn't going to just work for everyone. You would have to recode it
> for your server. Here's my code. I'm using symlinks so I used the link
> "default" to go to the user who gets the mail into the folders.

I will agree that this is a cool trick...and the require_files bit means
spammers won't destroy it, which is especially nice. However, I set
something like this up before, with user-folder-subfolder@tld syntax, and
discovered a fairly major shortcoming in it.

You might think at first that a bunch of folders in the top-level of your
mailbox is fine. But then this gets to be quite a few, so you make
subfolders in a few top-level folders. As it continues to grow, you end up
with nested folders several layers deep (or have no sane organization).

With this approach, you can never reorganize or rename your folders (well in
some cases you can change the address that stuff is being sent to, but
sometimes that's not easy, and it's certainly a LOT more painful than
changing a few filters).

In addition To/CC header filtering is not generally recommended for many of
the same reasons that plague this approach, and fixing them requires more
filtering work than without.

Cheers,