[exim] date AND size triggers for exim log rotation. what do…

Author: OpenMacNews
To: exim users LIST
Subject: [exim] date AND size triggers for exim log rotation. what do you use?
hi,

i'm looking for flexible log rotation functionality.

i currently define my exim log naming as:

    LOG_FILE_PATH=/var/log/exim/%D-%s.log

which results simply in, e.g.:

    20061018-main.log

i'd like to manage logs to:

    (a) rotate to 'next day' log nominally once-per-day
    e.g.,
        20061018-main.log
        20061019-main.log

    (b) rotate to 'same day' + 'counter' log when size of log
       exceeds a given limit
    e.g.,
        20061018-main.log
        20061018-main.1.log
        20061018-main.2.log

    (c) delete rotated logs older than a given number of
       days, keeping all size-trigger rotated logs within
       the ok date range

iiuc, 'exicyclog' can, of course, rotate logs but not with the
flexibility for naming and size triggers above.

i've tried 'logrotate' (from redhat sources), but the capability for
rotating according to BOTH date &/or size is currently borked (i've
posted the issue ... waiting)

'newsyslog', another possible alternative, won't build on my osx boxes
(working on that too ...)

does anyone 'here' rotate in similar fashion? if so, what do you use?
have i missed an obviously available option?

or, do i simply need to reinvent the wheel and roll-my-own script?

thanks,

richard

--

/"\
\ / ASCII Ribbon Campaign

[GPG] OpenMacNews at gmail dot com
fingerprint: 50C9 1C46 2F8F DE42 2EDB D460 95F7 DDBD 3671 08C6