Re: [exim] UCEPROTECT Blacklists and why callouts are abusiv…

Top Pagina
Auteur: Andrew - Supernews
Aan: exim-users
Onderwerp: Re: [exim] UCEPROTECT Blacklists and why callouts are abusive

Ian> So, if I stopped doing callouts, and chose to bounce spam
Ian> instead, that wouldn't be a backward step?

>> False dichotomy. You're not being forced to do either.

Ian> It's not a false dichotomy. I'm just trying to make you think
Ian> about the meaning of the phrase "as bad as". I think you're
Ian> trying to argue that they're both bad, and I might grant that. I
Ian> won't grant that they're as bad as each other.

I argue that callouts are worse, since (given the existence of
measures such as BATV) the load on the recipient is the same, while
callouts are perceived as beneficial to the site that is making them,
so there's a perceived _incentive_ for them to become more widespread
(whereas bouncing spam benefits nobody).

(I say "perceived" because I am skeptical about the proportion of spam
that actually fails callout verification.)

--
Andrew, Supernews
http://www.supernews.com