Re: [exim] UCEPROTECT Blacklists and why callouts are abusiv…

Top Pagina
Auteur: Ian Eiloart
Aan: Stuart Gall
CC: exim-users, Zbigniew Szalbot
Onderwerp: Re: [exim] UCEPROTECT Blacklists and why callouts are abusive

--On 18 October 2006 02:20:39 +0300 Stuart Gall <stuart@???> wrote:

> On 17 Oct 2006, at 18:09, Ian Eiloart wrote:
>
>>> TXT= "Net 83.19.0.0/16 is Level 3 listed at UCEPROTECT-Network. See
>>> http://www.uceprotect.net/en/index.php?m=7&s=8"
>>
>> To be fair, they do recommend that users don't block at level 3.
>
> Blocking the whole class B network is highly unlikely to be restricted to
> the spammers
> They only require 200/65535 IPs to block the lot.
> It is also unclear if the 200 have to be from different class C networks,
> as I read http://www.uceprotect.net/en/index.php?m=3&s=5
> I understand that if 200 ips from a single class C network generate spam
> then the whole class B is listed
> 559: Throwing the baby out with the bath water error

I agree with you, and with UCEPROTECT, that their level 3 list shouldn't be
used for rejecting email. They recommend that if it's used at all, it
should be used for scoring. I think your reading of their description is
correct, it doesn't say that more than 1 class C should be involved.

--
Ian Eiloart
IT Services, University of Sussex