Re: [exim] problem of understanding of unseen, self=pass and…

Author: Mark Adams
To: Stuart Gall
CC: exim-users, Marten Lehmann
Subject: Re: [exim] problem of understanding of unseen, self=pass and more
Further to this..

On Wed, Oct 18, 2006 at 02:32:10AM +0300, Stuart Gall wrote:

> On 18 Oct 2006, at 01:59, Marten Lehmann wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> >> The first router matched will be processed, unless unseen.
> >
> > thats exactly the problem: I one router is successful, I have to set
> > "unseen", otherwise the following routers aren't processed. But at
> > this
> > time I don't know if other routers will be successful. So if I'm
> > setting
> > "unseen", then exim behaves as if this router has failed altough it
> > will
> > process the message with a transport if any following router is
> > successful.
> > But if none of the following routers is successful and the first
> > router
> > is "unseen", then exim will reply "Unroutable address". Thats the
> > problem.
> >

> How about putting a copy the first router at the end without unseen
> and configuring a transport to blackhole anything that comes through.

Marten, to have it work correctly you need to have a router to shadow
all mail, if it copies just the first router then other subsequent
unseen routers will bounce unrouteable addresses also. a router like

shadow_all:
debug_print = "R: shadow delivery"
driver = accept
transport = shadow_delivery

and the transport (completely untested)

shadow_delivery:
debug_print = "T: shadow transport"
driver = appendfile
file = /dev/null

Of course this will mean no messages will bounce. Correct messages will
be caught by correct routers, everything else will fall into the ether..

> > Regards
> > Marten

Cheers,
Mark