Re: [exim] Changing Email Identity

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] Changing Email Identity
gascione wrote:

> W B Hacker wrote:
>
>>gascione wrote:
>>
>>*snip*
>>

>>>mail cluster. If I could find a way to deliver it in a way other than
>>>SMTP I
>>>guess that would solve the problem as well.
>>
>>Given the hardware and a manualroute router, Exim can deliver it over 60
>>ma
>>bipolar TTY with Baudot code if you really need it to do so.
>>
>>or - if all this is 'local', you can file-write directly into some other
>>MTA's
>>queue (a la DaVinci on Novell MHS).
>>
>>But smtp and lmtp are easier to get a far-end to work with..
>>
>>;-).
>>

>>>I also have the ability to hook into a program that could just remove the
>>>relay headers from the email once it hits the primary server but that
>>>would
>>>require writing a program to execute on a Windows system which I cannot
>>>do.
>>>
>>>Sounds like I am heading down the consultant path.
>>>

>>- given that there are few truly 'new' challenges in the smtp-delivery
>>world,
>>
>>- given that Exim does not already have a simple setting that more of us
>>are
>>long-since using to do what you believe you need to do,
>>
>>I am more inclined to think you might want to sleep on it and then look
>>again at
>>the 'big picture' for the whole collection - and see if there is not a
>>simpler
>>way to arrive at the result you need.
>>
>>Bill
>>

>>--
>>

> I'm not sure what there is to sleep on. The problem is that this is way over
> my head. I don't mind learning and I have learned quite a bit but in this
> case I am under the gun. There is no time to learn. I need help doing it.
>
> And I forgot to mention, I really appreciate the thought process and time
> you are taking.

Magnus has probably put more 'thought' into it. I am just way *older*, have
done things in more different ways, and - for sure - made more *mistakes* than
most others. Wish I could say I had learned from all of them.

;-)

Seriously - you are trying to do a thing I wouldn't do at all.

On our 'under-the radar' MX here (Swiss or even third-world .tlds) we get
near-zero spam/malcode.

On really old and high-visibility domain.tld's (.com/.org/.net), some days as
much as 95% of arrivals are garbage - mostly dictionery attacks and other
WinZombies. Waves and waves of 'em.

Still yet, even on those on peak days, we call SpamAssassin for less than 15% of
all offered traffic. 12-month average is 11%, most recent Exim acl set is
dropping that to around 5%. (Worst offenders are going into IP blocklists).

The rest is shot down with Exim's DNS and smtp protocol enforcement, i.e failure
of forward/reverse DNS lookup, failed recipient verification, found in
dynamic-IP or other RBL, HELO as us, forged HELO as yahhoo, et al, found in our
own 'brownlists' built from repeat-offender scoring in SQL DB, etc.

By scoring only when several violations have been committed, or a tell-tale
'pattern', very few false-positives arise, and can be easily 'whitelisted' if
need be.

So - Exim is capable of onpassing such 'clean' traffic that you would not need
any further filtering. Shuttign down spamd would hardly make a bump in our
user's 'Inbox', only in their quarantine folders.

Nor do you necessasrily even those other mx for distribution.....

...unless, for example, you 'need' Exchange for its non-mail group-working features.

Bill