[exim] Exim4 optimisation

Author: Praveen Chinthala
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] Exim4 optimisation
Hi,

I have a exim4 configuration running queuerunner=separate in 15min
intervals. At present, the server accepts subscription mail from a local
server and sends mails every hour. I had trouble with errors relating to
connection refused and too many connections. Upon further reading, I have
set the values as follows:

smtp_accept_max=1500

smtp_accept_max_per_host=500

smtp_accept_max_per_connection=700

smtp_accept_queue_per_connection=700

smtp_accept_reserve=300

The errors seemed to stop. However if I decrease the value of
smtp_accept_max_connection and smtp_accept_queue_per_connection to less than
500, I still keep getting errors such as connection refused and too many
concurrent connections especially at 9:00 in the morning when more number of
emails are sent.

Eximstats generated the report giving a value of 1973 messages received
between 9 and 10 AM today. This is the actual number of messages received
everyday at this time. Most of the emails are actually received at 9 and
9:01 itself and mostly from a single local server.

The problem is whenever exim4 delivers the messages every hour especially at
9, 10 and 11 every morning, the load shoots up to 95. Is there any way I can
tweak the exim4 config so that the load is not very high. By the way exim4
is configured to use a single configuration file.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Praveen

-------------------------------

Praveen Chinthala

System Administrator

TEAMtalk Media

4th Floor, 46 Loman Street, London SE1 0EH

T: 02079219170

M: 07813312078

E: <mailto:praveen.chinthala@teamtalkmedia.com>
praveen.chinthala@???

The information contained in this email and its attachments are confidential
and may be the subject of legal, professional or other privilege. It is
intended only for the named addressees and may not be disclosed to anyone
else without consent from TEAMtalk Media. If you are not the named addressee
you are not authorised to disclose, distribute, copy, print or rely on the
contents of this email and should immediately notify the sender and delete
the email from your computer.
Warning: It is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that the onward
transmission, opening or use of this message and any attachments will not
adversely affect its systems or data. Please carry out such virus checks and
other checks as you consider appropriate. No responsibility is accepted by
TEAMtalk Media in this regard.