Re: [exim] Exim4 optimisation

Author: Praveen Chinthala
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim4 optimisation

One presumes you are running something such as a 'news clipping' service or
similar where it is important that the user          base see the day's
arrivals smartly 'on the hour' ... OR that all you have is coslty dial-up
bandwidth.

In which case I'll skip the obvious route of allowing exim to run queues
more frequently and over a wider time span (unless you *can* do that).

Ex: Ours run a queue-runner for each connection AND a 'clean up' runner
every 55 *seconds*..but our goal is the opposite of yours - to make 'instant
messaging' needless 'coz our (mostly intra-office) traffic is 'instanter'.

So ...

If you have the bandwidth, how about dividing your user group up such that
both incoming and outgoing addresses are divided across multiple instances
of Exim?

Not necessarily on separate boxes, but on separate IP and sub-domain
hostnames.

You can even do that within a single instance of Exim, but it is probably
simpler to use separate ones.

Separate subdomain and IP also have the (probable) advantage that if the
far-end is limiting connections-per-host/IP, your have less risk of
hold-off/retry when sending to a dozen folks in the same client company.

HTH,

Bill

Hi,

Thanks Marc and Bill for your replies.

The huge number of mails I am talking about are tabular data sent to
external list of users (all external) from a distribution email address.
However these emails are sent every hour to the distribution from a separate
host in the local network to the smarthost. The smarthost (exim4 server)
then sends the email. My point is, sending the emails every hour is not
configured on the exim4 server but it's just a cron job on another server to
flush the emails every hour to the smart host.

Hence the exim4 server (smart host) gets huge number of emails from that
particular host at exactly between 0 and 2 mins of everyhour. However the
exim4 server is configured to empty its queue every 15 mins as set in
/etc/default/exim4 file and its also running separate daemons. So, when it
actually gets these many emails and when it tries to send, the server's load
shoots up to 95 and comes back in less than 2 mins. I would like to know is
there any way to reconfigure exim4 such that the load is controlled and all
the messages sent without any delay as and when they are received.

Hope I am making sense, and if not please be patient with me as I am not
very much experienced in exim4.

Thanks a lot.

Praveen

-------------------------------

Praveen Chinthala

System Administrator

TEAMtalk Media

4th Floor, 46 Loman Street, London SE1 0EH

T: 02079219170

M: 07813312078

E: <mailto:praveen.chinthala@teamtalkmedia.com>
praveen.chinthala@???

The information contained in this email and its attachments are confidential
and may be the subject of legal, professional or other privilege. It is
intended only for the named addressees and may not be disclosed to anyone
else without consent from TEAMtalk Media. If you are not the named addressee
you are not authorised to disclose, distribute, copy, print or rely on the
contents of this email and should immediately notify the sender and delete
the email from your computer.
Warning: It is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that the onward
transmission, opening or use of this message and any attachments will not
adversely affect its systems or data. Please carry out such virus checks and
other checks as you consider appropriate. No responsibility is accepted by
TEAMtalk Media in this regard.