Re: [exim] use of add_header - not an *exact* drop-in replac…

Author: Philip Hazel
To: W B Hacker
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] use of add_header - not an *exact* drop-in replacement formessage?
On Sat, 7 Oct 2006, W B Hacker wrote:

> > 5. I think it's confusing to keep both methods indefinitely.
> >

> If you *must* trash one, trash add_header, then.
>
> message can be used to add a header.

Only in a "warn" statement, whereas "add_header" can be used to add a
header in any statement. That was the main motivation for implementing
it. (I didn't just do it because I was unhappy about the name.)

> Separating the two - i.e. *preventing* 'message' from being used for headers *at
> all* seems the more consistent approach. i.e - it speaks over the smtp port, not
> into the message & header file.

Indeed. That is where I would like to end up. But clearly it couldn't be
done at once. In the long term I would like to do just that. That's why
"message" with "warn" is now deprecated.

> i.e. a scorekeeper or accounting-class verb.

That really *is* just a naming thing. I agree that it would be better
but don't see any great urgency.