[exim] Empty string failing to match locally generated messa…

Author: leeph
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] Empty string failing to match locally generated messages

Hi

I'm running sa-exim to scan messages at SMTP time. I'm using the
check_recipient acl to check where a message has originated from. If the
sending host is in $relay_hosts, or if authenticated = *, or if the message
is locally generated (i.e does message delivered with without TCP/IP).

The acl check looks like this:

  warn    hosts = : @[] : +relay_hosts
          set acl_m8 = do-not-scan
  warn    authenticated = *
          set acl_m8 = do-not-scan

In sa-exim.conf, the run condition checks the acl_m8 for the do-not-scan
string and if it matches, the condition expands to false and sa isn't
invoked for the message.

It works great for networks/hosts in $relay_hosts, and works also for
authenticated SMTP connections, but it WILL NOT match locally generated
messages - the acl never gets set for mails generated on the machine itself
and so sa runs.

I cannot fathom why this is happening, as in the exim4 specification
document, the empty string : should match any message not arriving over SMTP
(just the stdin).

Can anyone shed light on this?

Thanks

James / leeph