Re: [exim] Rejecting direcly connected customers at connect …

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] Rejecting direcly connected customers at connect time
Renaud Allard wrote:

>>>God, I would love to have my setup like that. Unfortunately my users are
>>>receiving legit mail from far too many braindead mail servers setups,
>>>and the morality among those admins is "It's working so why care about
>>>rdns?".
>>>Me rejecting them would result in something like "Hey, we have no
>>>problem sending mails to everyone else, it's your setup that is faulty".
>>

> That answer reminds me of many phone calls. My answer to this is
> generally "Hey, we have no problems receiving mails from everyone else,
> so _your_ setup is faulty" :D

Good point!

===
"AOL, MSN, ... <long list of familiar 'big' names> work bothways with us.
- We can show you the logs and the statistics."

Then:

"Can you do the same?"

====

Have to say that we *wanted* to do this a year earlier, tried, got bollocked.

It was the whitelist that made it supportable. That, and the fact that we are
less 'alone' with each passing week.

With some <domain>.<tld> being targeted by 80-90% spam/malware, many larger
firms are beginning to do the same. They have to do so.

We don't insist on a PTR, nor that the HELO be a resolvable hostname, but
no-DNS-entry-at-all = no joy here.

Bill