Re: [exim] Default user account

Author: Stephen Kestle
To: Jeremy Harris
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Default user account
Jeremy Harris wrote:
> Stephen Kestle wrote:
>
> My advice on catchall accounts is "don't do that".
> You get inundated with spam as soon as a dictionary-attack
> hits your domain, and you get joe-jobbed to death too.
>
> - Jeremy

I've had a universal domain account hosted elsewhere for a few years,
with very little in the way of dictionary attacks. I have got one on
this account (1 week old), but that was to something like
128et583.81365ena@... - interesting dictionary :).

It can't pose as much of a problem as subscribing to this list though.
Since subscribing on opening this account, I have recieved over 50 spams
directed at my exact email. I have not sent email to anyone except this
list.

In my experience, dictionary attacks are few and far between nowadays.
However, the local-part-prefix option is interesting, and I'll probably
set that up after I get inundated...