Re: [exim] Default user account

Author: Stephen Kestle
To: Jeremy Harris
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Default user account
Jeremy Harris wrote:
> Stephen Kestle wrote:
>
>> I just can't seem to find some documents on a default account or
>> redirect for my server. It seems to reject any non-local address, and
>> that also seems to eliminate any alias redirection (I tried
>> "*:mail-default").
>>
>> It's something pretty simple, but I just can't find the right stuff...
>>
>> Perhaps I need to add a router to handle all unknown addreses - can
>> someone point me in the right direction?
>>

> My advice on catchall accounts is "don't do that".
> You get inundated with spam as soon as a dictionary-attack
> hits your domain, and you get joe-jobbed to death too.
>
> - Jeremy

Well, that's sort of the point - we give out random email addresses, so
that our real ones don't get hit with spam as much. It also helps us
split up different types of email - so we don't want to set up
individual users until we feel we need to. Until that point, go to the
default mailbox. Our spam filters are pretty good (bayesian), so that
is less of an issue.

In any case, I'd like to see how it goes.