Re: [exim] Oddity in spam filtering: negative scores still p…

Author: Marc Sherman
To: exim-users
CC: Adam Stephens
Subject: Re: [exim] Oddity in spam filtering: negative scores still produce "possible spam" message in X-Spam-Report
John Robinson wrote:

> But I want the X-Spam-Report to appear whether or not it's spam, much as
> it does with a sendmail/procmail/spamc setup; I just expect it to say
> "no it's not spam" (and list whatever rules were triggered) when it's
> not spam, and not to include a copy of the email.
>
> Am I wrong in thinking something's not working properly when the spam
> report says a message is spam even when it's not spam and spamd has said
> it's not spam?

Yes, you're wrong. The report is just a configurable string, and the
string you're seeing is the default report. The default report is only
intended to be attached to a message if it scores above the threshold.
If you wish to attach the report to all messages, then you should
reconfigure the report string to be more neutral in tone in your
spamassassin local.cf.

For example, my local.cf has:

> ### Set a terse report template, suitable for inclusion in msg headers
> clear_report_template
> report "_SCORE_, autolearn=_AUTOLEARN_"
> report "        _SUMMARY_"

and my exim.conf has:

> # Run spamc as user spamd, and don't defer if spamc fails
> # Set the quarantine flag based on the success/failure of the spam rule
> # (based on the required spam score configured in spamassasin's local.cf)
> warn
> spam = spamd/defer_ok
> set ACL_MSG_QUARANTINE = true
>
> # Add the spam report header
> warn
> message = X-Spam-Projectile: $spam_report

- Marc