Re: [exim] Lists expands to mailboxes (and other lists) whic…

Author: Jaco Engelbrecht
To: Kjetil Torgrim Homme
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Lists expands to mailboxes (and other lists) which inturn points back at one another
Hi Kjetil,

On Fri, Sep 08, 2006 at 02:50:47PM +0200, Kjetil Torgrim Homme wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-09-08 at 12:01 +0100, Jaco Engelbrecht wrote:
> > A mail gets sent to: petagedequota@${some.arb.domain}
>
> please use specific values, it's unclear if {some.arb.domain} can vary
> for each of the mentions.

Sorry, in this case, ${some.arb.domain} is always the same.

> >    How far will Exim go in delivering the mails?

> it will recurse, but quickly reach the bottom since it has routed the
> addresses already, so there will be 3 deliveries. in this example, there
> should never be more than 5 deliveries under consideration.

Mmm, this is what I get at the moment:

mailbox10@???->homedir=/mailspool/mail0/sysarch/1/c8/mailbox10%40moo.com|forward=mailbox10@???, mailbox20@???, list10@???
mailbox20@???->homedir=/mailspool/mail0/sysarch/0/6f/mailbox20%40moo.com|forward=mailbox10@???, mailbox20@???, list10@???
list10@???->mailbox10@???, mailbox20@???

# exim -bt mailbox10@???
<snip>

mailbox20@???
    <-- mailbox20@???
    <-- list10@???
    <-- mailbox10@???
  router = maildir, transport = maildir_delivery
mailbox10@???
    <-- mailbox10@???
  router = maildir, transport = maildir_delivery

> >  - What's the best way of telling Exim to not use more than X amount of memory?
> >    I don't see any configuration in Exim itself, so will it best to
> > just setup resource limiting for Exim on OS level?

> do you really think "randomly" killing Exim is better than having it
> slug through its task?

I'd rather it get killed when it uses a gig of memory and alert the sysadmin team that Exim had reached it's configured limit, and get them to look at it, than use all available memory in the system and result in the box falling over. Something is wrong when Exim start to use a gig of memory to deliver mail...

Jaco

--
bje@???
the faculty of making fortunate discoveries