Re: [exim] Lists expands to mailboxes (and other lists) whic…

Author: Kjetil Torgrim Homme
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Lists expands to mailboxes (and other lists) which inturn points back at one another
On Fri, 2006-09-08 at 12:01 +0100, Jaco Engelbrecht wrote:
> A mail gets sent to: petagedequota@${some.arb.domain}

please use specific values, it's unclear if {some.arb.domain} can vary
for each of the mentions.

> - Given the following:
>
>    mailbox10: mailbox10@${some.arb.domain}, mailbox20@${some.arb.domain}, list10@${some.arb.domain}
>    mailbox20:  mailbox20@${some.arb.domain}, mailbox10@${some.arb.domain}, list10@${some.arb.domain}
>    list10: mailbox10@${some.arb.domain}, mailbox20@${some.arb.domain}, list10@${some.arb.domain}

>    A mail message get sent to mailbox10@${some.arb.domain}...

>    How far will Exim go in delivering the mails?

it will recurse, but quickly reach the bottom since it has routed the
addresses already, so there will be 3 deliveries. in this example, there
should never be more than 5 deliveries under consideration.

> I've set 'check_ancestor' in my routers where applicable.

that doesn't really incluence the recursion depth.

>  - What's the best way of telling Exim to not use more than X amount of memory?
>    I don't see any configuration in Exim itself, so will it best to
> just setup resource limiting for Exim on OS level?

do you really think "randomly" killing Exim is better than having it
slug through its task?

add more swap.

--
Kjetil T.