Re: [exim] split_ spool_ directory - when would you use it?

Autor: Zbigniew Szalbot
A: W B Hacker
CC: exim users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] split_ spool_ directory - when would you use it?
Hello,

On Tue, 5 Sep 2006, W B Hacker wrote:

> On a 'healthy' POSIX-based system, a single queue should never outrun available
> filenames at one level.

You are right, but I asked about this feature, because in our case we run
large mailing lists without the use of mailman. Every reciepient gets an
individual copy of an email with his address in the TO field. Because we
have some critical times like 3 a.m and noon where we send many messages
(up to 10K now but it is growing daily), the queue fills up very quickly
and exim (actually currently Mercury) needs time to process them. So at
peak times there may be about 4-5K emails in queue. As you say,
one-size-fits-all doesn't work. We delete bouncing emails on a daily basis
but still at peak times, we simmply need to allow mail server do its job
and it takes time.

FYI - since yestarday I have been a FreeBSD user... not quite there
yet... feeling a bit as if I woke up at night and the streets are not lit
(not using X windows) but slowly beggining to learn new rules ;)

Warm regards,

Zbyszek