Re: [exim] Exim and SpamAssassin

Autor: W B Hacker
A: exim users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Exim and SpamAssassin
My BSD wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Sep 2006 21:10:39 +0200
> "Bertrand Jacquin" <beber.mailing@???> wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>I'm running SpamAssasin on my mail server with exim.

*snip* (Bertrand's SA details...)

> I have a similar router and transport, except it filters with bsfilter
> (simpler and not a resource hog) rather than SA.

*snip* ('My BSD' posted bsfilter details...)

Went and had a look at bsfilter. Have some questions:

- '...simpler...' Possibly. But Bayesian ONLY?

Is it as *effective* as SA (with or without SA's Spam_Bayes?)

- '...not a resource hog' Perhaps not - if it is doing far fewer comparisons.

But does it remain so as the Bayes DB grows? Does it become more/less effective
with such growth? i.e - begin to learn bad habits.

ISTR that Ruby is generally slower in execution than comparable perl, syntax
elegance, security issues or lack therof entirely aside.

my curretn impression is that bsfilter doesn't seem to be nearly as tailorable,
nor as universal a scanning solution as SpamAssassin.

Any evidence otherwise? Comparisons?

Bill