Re: [exim] split_ spool_ directory - when would you use it?

Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: Warren Baker
À: exim-users
Sujet: Re: [exim] split_ spool_ directory - when would you use it?
Philip Hazel wrote:
>> Besides the downside of using it in conjunction with queue_run_in_order,
>> surely the majority of installations out there make use of
>>
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
>> split_spool_directory - so should it not be enabled by default since it
>>
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> Have you any evidence for this? My (also totally unsubstantiated) guess
> would be that "the majority of installations" are single-user or
> small-company users of Debian boxes. I think we just don't know.

I don't have any evidence, it was and is an unsubstantiated guess. I
base my assumption on all of my installations (well over 100) which all
have between 10 users and 500k users - I have always just enabled it.
But you are correct we just don't know.

>> is beneficial?
>>

> It may not always be beneficial, though the difference may be small and
> one is splitting hairs to argue about it. (e.g. a company with 100
> emails a day and such like).
>
> Changing the default in the code would suddently hit a lot of existing
> installations, who might not know what is going on, even though it is a
> self-sorting-out change. It's the kind of change which, if it is to be
> made at all, should only be part of a major upgrade (something like the
> Exim 3->Exim 4 upgrade) IMHO.

I understand and agree with you, so enabled or disabled - I am happy
with it.

Heiko mentioned, it might be a good idea to add this configurable option
to EDITME so that at least people who compile from src will have the
option to enable it @ compile time - i agree with this.

Thanks,
Warren