Re: [exim] Queueing-issue when greylisted....

Autor: W B Hacker
A: exim users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Queueing-issue when greylisted....
Patrick von der Hagen wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have an annoying problem regarding my mailqueues. Some users forward
> all their incoming messages to remote domains which perform greylisting.
> The setup is something like "defer the first delivery and accept any
> message that ist retried more than 5 minutes and less than 12 hours
> after the initial delivery attempt".
>
> For a given recpipient mail arrives frequently, and every incoming
> message triggers a delivery-attempt, which often triggers greylisting
> which a 451-response-code. However, the retry-interval is recalculated
> and messages sitting in the queue are not retried for that recipient, so
> a second delivery just never happens and the message is kept in the
> queue forever.
>
> Currently I have no better idea than to run a cronjob doing someghing
> like "exim -Rff domain" every hour. But I don't really like that
> "solution" and though my mail-throughput is small enough and the
> hardware has enough spare resources, I'm curious how others try to solve
> that issues.
>
> Any comments, ideas, suggestions?

Personally, I would locally blacklist each such rude far-end, giving the sender
an immediate error return at smtp-time, send an explanatory note, then wash my
hands of such damn-foolishness.

ISTR that it is possible to greylist more intelligently, (if one must at all),
so as to not give you that specific sort of grief in a frequent
different-message, same source, environment.

But I am a notoriously 'unhelpful' old curmudgeon, so something gentler may be
in order....

YMMV,

;-)

Bill