Re: [exim] Problem with sasl authentication and outlook

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] Problem with sasl authentication and outlook
fredrik@??? wrote:

> I'm using exim 4.60 on gentoo together with cyrus imapd, both running ssl
> through the same certificate. Cyrus is configured to use sasl2 using
> sasldb for authentication and I would like to be able to use the same
> authentication for exim.
>
> Now, here is my problem. Authentication from outlook to cyrus works fine
> using both plain and ntlm (spa). Authentication agains exim doesn't. I
> have figured out the trick with an application specific configuration file
> to get sasl configured for exim. The authentication actually even works.
> If I run exim in debug mode I get this in my output:
>
> Cyrus SASL LOGIN authentiction succeeded for recipient@???
> or
> Cyrus SASL NTLM authentiction succeeded for recipient@???
>
> However, in the outlook end the authentication still fails.
>
> Any ideas would be greatly appreciated?
> /Fredrik Svensson

Fredrik,

Can you:

- see if Mozilla Mail or Thunderbird MUA's, GNU Mailer, PocoMail, Pegasus,
PMail, or other MUA's work OK with your SASL as-is?

- Try older/newer versions of Outlook AND Outlook Express?

After which, I suspect you may want to go to seek examples on some
Outlook-specific resources, as ISTR, that some 'flavors' of Outlook/OE
authenticate in different ways (from each other) - not all of them standard.

Some of the options to deal with that have been posted for other-than SASL auth,
but perhaps fewer for SASL with Outlook/OE.

We ceased supporting Outlook/OE login *at all* long ago, so this is hazy memory
by now, but hope it helps.

Bill