Re: [exim] non-address header syntax checking

Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: Phil Chambers
À: Kjetil Torgrim Homme
CC: exim-users
Sujet: Re: [exim] non-address header syntax checking

On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 17:43:54 +0200 Kjetil Torgrim Homme <kjetilho@???>
wrote:

> On Tue, 2006-08-22 at 15:32 +0100, Phil Chambers wrote:
> > However, Cyrus refuses to accept messages with non-ascii characters in any part
> > of the header. This has not been a problem until recently, when there seems to
> > have been a spate of messages with non-ascii in headers, including in header
> > labels.
>
> from imapd.conf(5):
>
>    reject8bit: 0
>         If enabled, lmtpd rejects messages with 8-bit  characters  in  the
>         headers.   Otherwise,  8-bit  characters  are  changed to `X'.  (A
>         proper soultion to non-ASCII characters in headers is  offered  by
>         RFC 2047 and its predecessors.)

> the default is off, I suggest you change your setting. (Cyrus will
> still balk on NUL.)

Your reply has prompted me to investigate further. I actually have reject8bit
set to 0 and Cyrus does substitute 'X' for non-ASCII in headers.

However, the messages which are being rejected have non-ASCII in the header
names (the part before the colon - RFC2822 calls them field names), which makes
it more problematic. I really would prefer to reject these messages at the DATA
phase. Any ideas?

(Do people who use Cyrus generally set reject8bit to 1?)

Phil.
Phil Chambers (postmaster@???)
University of Exeter