Re: [exim-dev] patch for named acl variables

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Jakob Hirsch
To: exim-dev
Betreff: Re: [exim-dev] patch for named acl variables
Quoting Philip Hazel:

>>> Comments welcome, especially "this is soo cool" style. :)
>> This is sooooo cool! :)
> I have to admit that my gut feeling doesn't like this because it is
> adding more code and complication, just to avoid using macros for
> variable names.

Using macros to map names to numbers seemed always a little cumbersome
to me. And it does not work in filter files. We discussed this a while
ago (when you said you don't like named variables because they are
inefficient :).

As for code complexity: Sure, the new code makes changes in central
places, which is always dangerous, but I think it is pretty
straightforward, easy to read and to validate.

To be honest, I even thought about moving the existing numbered
variables to the same storage as the named ones (which would reduce code
complexity :), but then it seemed too revolutionary for now...
I doubt anybody would notice a performance hit, though, especially when
we'd use a binary tree.

> But then I come from the "if it isn't written in
> assembler and uses every last bit, it's too expensive" school of
> thought, having been writing code for way too long. So I'll wait to see
> what other reactions there on this list.

Quite fair.