[exim] Delay_warning_condition - new default?

Author: John Horne
To: Exim users
Subject: [exim] Delay_warning_condition - new default?
Hello,

The current delay_warning_default in Exim is:

${if match{$h_precedence:}{(?i)bulk|list|junk}{no}{yes}}

However, looking at RFC's 3834 (Recommendations for Automatic Responses
to Electronic Mail) and 2369 (The Use of URLs as Meta-Syntax for Core
Mail List Commands and their Transport through Message Header Fields),
it seems that the Precedence header is not standard, and that the use of
'List-' headers is (optionally) to be used by mailing list software.

A very quick look at some mailing list message headers shows that
Precedence is still being used, and with (usually) a value of bulk, list
or junk. Of the 'List-' headers, the List-Id and List-Unsubscribe
headers seem to always be present. The List-Subscribe header is present
in some lists but not others.

Would it not be better to change the default of delay_warning_condition
to say something like "don't send a delay warning if both the List-Id
and List-Unsubscribe headers are set, or if the Precedence header is set
to one of bulk, list or junk"?

(Sorry I have no example yet as I'm still trying to work out how to sort
out the and's and or's such that the condition comes out right!)

Comments?

Regards,

John.

John Horne, University of Plymouth, UK  Tel: +44 (0)1752 233914
E-mail: John.Horne@???       Fax: +44 (0)1752 233839