Re: [exim] Delay_warning_condition - new default?

Author: John Horne
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] Delay_warning_condition - new default?
On Fri, 2006-07-28 at 01:04 +0800, W B Hacker wrote:

> - Does any MLM operator willingly apply a priority of 'Junk'?

Yes, the Linux Fedora Core mailing list. I have only been able to
quickly check some of the mailing lists I belong to, but as said the FC
list does send out it's mail as 'junk' :-)

> - Does anyone have input as to whether 'modern' MTA even bother to pay any
> attention to any of these fields?

In terms of 'priority' on the mail queue and the Precedence header (as
seems to be the original definition for the header), I doubt it. (I make
the assumption that Exim doesn't prioritise the queue in any way based
on the Precedence header!)

In terms of trying to determine if a message came from a mailing list,
then yes, that's why Exim looks at the Precedence header to decide if a
delivery delay message should be sent back or not. My point is that
mailing lists could use the 'List-' headers instead, and as such perhaps
the delay_warning_condition should take account of that as well as the
Precedence header.

I think I have worked out the condition required to be:

   ${if and { {def:h_List-Id:} \
              {def:h_List-Unsubscribe:} \
            } {false} \
        {match {$h_Precedence:} {(?i)Bulk|List|Junk} {false} {true} } }

The question may be what 'List-' headers should be checked?

John.

John Horne, University of Plymouth, UK  Tel: +44 (0)1752 233914
E-mail: John.Horne@???       Fax: +44 (0)1752 233839