Re: [exim] sender verify

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] sender verify
Jeff Allen wrote:

> Hi,
>

> I have looked around but have yet to come up with a solution that works
> on my exim box. I am running Exim 4.43 with Spamassassin and a MySQL
> backend that is setup to run LDAP lookups to our internal Exchange
> servers. My problem lies with a partner of ours who have an option on
> there website to reset passwords. The email address that sends the new
> password is not valid on there server and they refuse to create the
> account or an alias for this email as according to them I am the only
> person in the world using sender verify. Here is what I see in my logs.
>

> 2006-07-18 11:36:33 H=navgwout.blah.com [198.] sender verify fail for
> <badaddress@???>: response to "RCPT TO:<badaddress@???>" from
> extu-mxib-1.blah.com [216.] was: 550 5.0.0 <badaddress@???>... User
> unknown
>
> 2006-07-18 11:36:33 H=navgwout.blah.com [198.6.49.12]
> F=<badaddress@???> rejected RCPT <me@???>: Sender verify
> failed
>

> I have tried commenting out anything to do with sender verify in my
> configure file but that didn't seem to help... Any ideas?
>

> Thanks in advance,
>
> Jeff

First, it appears that you have NOT disabled verify = sender (or one or more of
its variations) entirely.

ELSE not restarted Exim after editing the configure file.

Second - the sender verification process can return more than a simple pass/fail.

Well-covered in the docs, but not all in one place.

You may be able to use sender verify to at least confirm that sending MTA's
at-large exist and are configured to accept messages to (at least) 'postmaster'.

You may need to either reduce failure to a 'warn', adding a header or score for
later action, or stand ready to do a lot of whitelisting, as not all will verify
a specific user.

HTH,

Bill

Getting confirmation of specific 'other' user address validity is not all that
common.