Re: [exim] MDaemon and dynamic screening

Author: Renaud Allard
To: John Oxley
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] MDaemon and dynamic screening
Exim is not at fault at all. This is all due to the famous buggy server
Mdaemon. The antispam configuration on Mdaemon is quite a bit weird if
you expect real mails to be delivered.
If a 5xx error (permanent) is delivered, your exim will of course create
a bounce message signalling to the sender that the message could not be
delivered. In no way you can test the existing users on your client's
server (recipient callouts will also be refused anyway), except if they
give you a list of existing users that you can integrate into your exim
config, but that much of a hassle to configure. Now if Mdaemon decides
to block everything from your IP just based on the fact that people sent
some mails to wrong addresses, you cannot do anything about that on exim.
If you had configured recipients callouts, you wouldn't have sent any
bounce, but further messages would have been refused anyway.