Re: [exim] Restricting a user's email destinations?

Author: Mike Cardwell
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Restricting a user's email destinations?
* on the Fri, Jul 14, 2006 at 09:33:43PM +0800, W B Hacker wrote:

>> Can you give an example please, because I don't get exactly how you
>> think this could happen...
> 'Could happen' ??
>
> We've done it for *years* with a python module as a regular service for a CMS.
>
> Acts like a remote-controlled MUA, not the normal webmail client, as it uses
> non-local smtp, pop, imap resources.
>
> Lynx / lynx-ssl text-mode browser is another way - one you can try for yourself
> really easily.
>
> lynx http(s)://<your remote webmail account URI>

Then you're not sending mail from the local server, you're making http
requests from the local server instead. You're actually sending mail
from the remote server... I don't think what you've just described fits
with what thane is/was trying to restrict.

> As said, restricting *Exim* as to destinations is not hard.
>
> Preventing general misbehaviour originating on your own server that might get
> your IP blacklisted is a little more difficult. IPFW / IPF / iptables can help.
>
> Preventing users from sending mail entirely, or otherwise restricting them to a
> sub-set of destinations is a *lot* harder if you need to support a variety of
> services on the same box.

I don't think it is hard. I've managed it successfully on a large shared
hosting web farm. It just requires some thought and planning.

Mike