Re: [exim] AOL Scomp Technology

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] AOL Scomp Technology
B. Johannessen wrote:

> Dean Brooks wrote:
>
>>I know that our policies as an ISP would be to blocklist all mail from
>>your servers if you were to send those kinds of notices to us unsolicited.
>

> Far be it from me to to defend Marc's folly-de-jour, but as I understand
> it, he's talking about sending what amounts to an automated abuse
> complaint, based on observed email abuse. As long as these are directed
> at one (or more) relevant addresses I would hardly consider this grounds
> for blocking. As far as I know, SpamCop does the same thing. Do you
> block them as well?
>

>     Bob

Well *we*, fro one, are not that harsh - even have IP_literal's
open for postmaster, abuse, etc.

But the last time we have gotten anything similar
(otherwise-legitimate bounces of forged bounces), we took the
trouble to:

- verify in WHOIS and DIG

- ID the MTA the complainent was using from headers.

- look up the config docs for that MTA

- tell them specifically how to ID & block a forged bounce

There was no reply, and the collateral damaged continued until
we manually blacklisted them.

Even if only 1% of Marc's ideas have merit, he DOES tread where
others [fear to go | have been before they learned to read].

;-)

Bill